Version 1.1 launched in early January 2018. The version 1.1.3 update was released on March 1, 2018.
Here’s what you need to do to upgrade your congregation’s website from the original version (version 1.0) of the UUA Theme to version 1.1.3.
1. Make a backup.
Create a backup of the entire site, in case things go wrong and you need to return the site to the state it’s in before you started the upgrade.
If you haven’t already done so, consider installing a backup plugin, such as BackWPUp. Here is an article that reviews a number of widely-used WordPress plugins that make it easy to create regular backups of your site. If you’re on a better host (like WPengine or Flywheel) there will likely be an option to create a site snapshot.
2. Update WordPress itself to the latest version.
To check whether you are running the latest version of WordPress and upgrade if necessary:
- Log in and look at the Dashboard (at <your-site-name>/wp-admin/index.php)
- Look for a message asking you to update WordPress to the latest version. If there is an “Updates” link in the menu in the left column, click it for a list of what needs to be updated.
- Click the link to do the upgrade. If there are problems, check with your web hosting company.
The theme has been tested with versions up to WordPress 4.9.
Note: WordPress is so widely used that it’s a target for hackers. When a security issue is identified, a new version that fixes the problem is created very quickly by the open source community. It’s important to keep WordPress updated to the latest version so that you aren’t exposing your site to security holes.
3. Update plugins to the latest versions.
When you are logged in and looking at the Dashboard, click “Updates” or “Plugins” on the menu to see a list of available updates to your WordPress plugins. If you see messages indicating that there are newer versions, click to upgrade. Messages look something like this:
There is a new version of Insert Headers and Footers available. View version 1.4.2 details or update now.
4. Update to Version 1.1 of the UUA Theme.
Look for a message in the Dashboard (Appearance > Themes) about the update being available. Click Update to update to the new version. WordPress will download the new version and install it. If you are not sure whether you are using the old version (version 1.0.1) or the new one (version 1.1.0), hover over the theme picture on the Appearance > Themes page and click “Theme Details”.
If your site is not set up to do updates through the Dashboard, you can download the theme file and use FTP to upload it to the wp-content/themes directory, overwriting the one that’s there.
5. Update the Services Plugin
Go to Appearance > Install Plugins to update the UUA Service Plugin. It may also show up in the Plugins menu to be updated as well.
Note the change in how Service Dates and Times are handled
Version 1.1 of the Services plugin uses a new system for entering the date and time of each service. Instead of scheduling the service to publish at the date and time of the service, you enter the date and time in two boxes in the “Service Date and Time” box in the righthand column of the service when you are editing it:
- Service Date and Time: Enter the date and time using the calendar and time picker. If your congregation has two services, enter the first one. When you click in the box you’ll see a calendar and time picker.Note that the website will switch to showing the next service as soon as the date and time in that first box passes. So if you have two services and you want the service to stay on display until the second service starts, use the start time of the second service.
- Service Time Display: Enter whatever text you’d like to appear as the date and time. For example, you can enter “April 1, 2018 at 10:30 am” or “1 April 2018 – 10:30am and noon”. It’s free text, so you can enter the times of two services. Be consistent; it’ll look better. You can leave this blank if you want the system to use the date and time from the first box.
Then publish the page normally.
Services in the past are already published (and have had their date and time migrated), but you need to edit any services in the future. Choose Services from the Dashboard to see a list of your Services. For each service:
- Edit the service.
- Enter the date and time in the “Service Date and Time” and “Service Time Display” boxes as described above.
- In the “Publish” box, directly after the date and time that the page is scheduled to publish, click Edit, change the date to any date in the past, and click OK.
- The Update button turns into a Publish button; click it to publish the page.
- View the page to see that it shows the date and time that you entered in the “Service Time Display” box.
6. Get a Google Maps API key and enter it.
The “Directions” link at the top of every page on your site displays a map centered on your congregation’s address. WordPress gets the map from Google Maps. Google now requires any program that wants to access its maps to have an API key, a free identifier that you can get from Google. (“API” stands for Application Programming Interface, and refers to the way programs talk to each other.)
First, you need to get an API key, and then you need to enter it in the theme.
Get a Google Maps API key.
Follow Google’s instructions for signing up for an API account and getting a key. You give your project (your congregation’s website) a name and it gives you a long string of characters. This string is the key — copy it to wherever you store notes about the website or your passwords.
- From the Dashboard, choose Appearance > Customize. (Or click Customize if it appears along the top of the page.)
- Click “Congregation Map Information” from the list of options on the left side of the page. It contains two boxes, one for your address and the other for your API key.
- Cut and paste the API key into the Google Maps API Key box.
- Click the left-pointing arrow at the top of the box, click the Publish button, and click the X to close the Customize menu.
7. Choose to feature UUA’s inSpirit bookstore products.
You have the option of featuring books and other products offered by the inSpirit Book & Gift Shop (formerly called the UUA Bookstore, and still owned by the UUA). The UUA Bookstore Widget will display a little advertisement for one book (or other product) on a general, family, or social justice topic on every page on your site, except the home page.
- Choose Appearance > Widgets to see a page that shows available widgets along with which widgets appear on your pages.
- In the Available Widgets section, look for the UUA Bookstore Widget.
- Drag it onto the Theme Sidebar section. The demo site shows it as the first item on the Primary sidebar. Drag the “UUA Bookstore Widget” from the “Available Widgets” list to the “Primary” area on the theme Sidebars list. There are probably several widgets there; drag it wherever order you want it to appear.
- Click the down arrow on the widget to open up its configuration information.
- Set the List Type to the topic (UU General, Family, or Social Justice) and click Save.
8. Test out the site.
Click around the site to check that everything looks right.
Note: If the main menu looks wrong, choose Appearance > Menus, click the “Manage Locations” tab, and make sure that the menus are as follows:
- Primary Navigation = Main Menu
- Utility Navigation = Utility Menu
- Footer Navigation = Footer Menu
- Page Navigation = Nested Pages
If not, you have the option of restoring your backup.