Each service is stored as a separate page. You create these Service pages and they remain on your website as a record of your worship services.
Displaying Lists of Services
The different UUA Service plugin widgets display information from these pages using several widgets and shortcodes. Here’s where services are displayed on the demo site.
- Future services are displayed on the Worship > Upcoming Services page (using the “
[upcoming-services]” shortcode in the text of the page).
- The next upcoming service is displayed on the homepage (using the UUA Upcoming Service List Widget in the Home 2 box, which you set on the Appearance > Widgets page). It also appears in the righthand sidebar of most pages (using the same widget in the Primary Sidebar box on the Appearance > Widgets page).
- Past services are listed on the Worship > Past Worship Services page (using the “
[service-archive]” shortcode in the text of the page.
Creating a Service Page
To create a page about a worship service, choose Services > Add New from the Dashboard. (Or choose +New > Service from the menu at the top of every page.) Either way, you see an Add New Service edit page, where you enter:
- Title: Be consistent. Standardize on a format like “Title – Date” or “Date – Title”, like “March 6, 2016 – Canvass Sunday”.
- Text of the service.
- Set the date of the service. Starting with version 1.1, you set this in the “Service Date and Time” box in the righthand column, which contains two fields, “Service Date and Time” and “Service Time Display.”
- “Service Date and Time”: Enter the date and time of the service, using the calendar that appears. If your congregation has two services, enter the first. This is the date (and time) that WordPress uses to determine whether the service is in the past or the future.
- “Service Time Display”: This is the date and time that are displayed for the service. You can type anything you want in this box. Recommended formats are “April 1, 2018 – 10:30 am” or “April 1, 2018 – 10:30am and noon”. Whatever format you choose, be consistent.
- Note: In the original version 1.0 of the theme, you set the date in the Publish box, which meant that pages for services in the future weren’t published until they occurred. Starting with version 1.1, the “Service Date and Time” box enables service pages to be published right way, which means that other pages can link to them and you can promote them on social media.
- Choose one or more speakers in the “Speakers” box in the righthand column.
- Under Service topics, check one or more topics that will enabled you to display listings of services by topic.
- Don’t bother setting the Featured Image, because it doesn’t appear on Services pages.
- If you want comments on the service, check the Allow comments checkbox.
Click the Publish or Update button to save.
The name of the speaker appears on listings but not on the actual service page.
The featured image doesn’t appear on the page.