“A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page.” (Read more about Widgets on WPBeginner.com.)
Several of the recommended plugins have widgets associated with them, as does the custom-built UUA Services Plugin (included in the UUA Theme). The Homepage and right sidebar of most pages are widget-generated.
The UUA Services Plugin includes three widgets for your site:
- Featured Upcoming Services Widget, used on the front page of the site to showcase the next upcoming service as well as some links.
- Upcoming Service Widget that provides a listing of upcoming services, to be used in the footer, sidebars or on the homepage to list upcoming services.
- Recent Services Widget, to be used in the footer, sidebar or on the homepage to list recent services.
The Worship section uses these widgets to display listings.
These widgets, which are part of WordPress itself, are available for listing news posts:
- Archive that lists past news posts by month
- List Category Posts: Recent Posts that lists recent news posts
The demo site uses the Recent Posts widget to display recent news in the righthand sidebar and at the bottom of the home page.
- Events Calendar
The demo site uses the Events widget to display upcoming events in the righthand sidebar and the bottom of the home page.
The Testimonials plugin, if you have it installed, provides one widget for listing testimonial pages:
- Testimonials displays the most recent testimonial(s)
The demo site uses the Testimonials widget to display the most recent one at the bottom of the home page.