The Events and Submit an Event pages are generated by the Events Manager plugin, a fully featured event registration management including recurring events, locations management, calendar, Google map integration, booking management. However, you don’t have to use all these fancy features if all you want is a listing of events on your website.
The News > Event Page
The Event page (on the menu at News > Events) can show a listing of events (that is, a listing of your event pages). Edit the page and paste this shortcode into the text of the page:
Creating Event Pages
To make a new event page, choose Events > Add Event or choose +New > Event from the top menu. You see the Add New Event edit page.
- Title: Be consistent about how these are formatted.
- Text describing the event.
- Starting and ending time and date of the event in the “When” box in the righthand column
- Event categories
- The Featured Image (scroll way down to the bottom of the righthand column) appears on the event page and in listings.
- The location of the event goes in the Where box (scroll down to the bottom of the main column. Enter a complete address so WordPress can display a map. Once you’ve entered your congregation’s name and address once, you can enter the name in the Location Name and you won’t have to enter the whole address again.
Where Event Listings Appear
You can display a listing of upcoming events in the righthand sidebar of your pages by adding the Event widget to the Primary Sidebar. Choose Appearance > Widgets from the Dashboard, drag the Events widget into the Primary sidebar area, and enter a title and other configuration information.
The demo site also displays an event listing at the bottom of the home page. Choose Appearance > Widgets and drag the Event widget into the Home 6, Home 7, or Home 8 area.