Install the Plugins That Come with the Theme
- Install the required plugins. Your screen, just after installation, looks like it does below. The Dashboard lists options down the lefthand side of the page. Click “Begin Installing Plugins.”
- You see a page where you can install all the Theme’s plugins. Select All, then go to the Bulk Actions box and choose Install. Click Apply.
- You then see a page that looks like this at the top and bottom. When the plugins have installed, scroll to the bottom and click “Return to Required Plugins Installer.”
- Activate the plugins. The page looks like the listing below. Choose which plugins to activate, or activate all by selecting all, going to the Bulk Actions box, choosing Activate, and clicking Apply.
- On the next page, click “Return to Your Dashboard.”
Configure Your Site
- Optional: Add the demo content (this includes the sample words, sample images, menu, and organization of our demo site).
- Follow the Checklist for Configuring Your Website to add site-wide information, and choose your color scheme.
- Follow these instructions to configure your menus, including setting up the main menu.
- Now it’s time to set up the homepage, using the widget areas under Appearance > Widgets. Follow these instructions to set up your Homepage.
Enter Content: News, Events, Sunday Services, and More
Put content into the other kinds of pages that the plugins provide:
- Add content to all your pages (see our page-by-page guidance and our general content guide for best practices on images, tone, etc.).
- Add news posts by clicking Posts > Add New in your Dashboard
- Add event pages by clicking Events > Add Event in your Dashboard
- Add Sunday service information for past and future Sundays by creating services pages, following these directions for the UUA Services plugin
- Add ministers and staff by creating a staff page for each one by clicking Staff > Add New in your Dashboard
- Add testimonials (member stories about what your congregation means to them) by clicking Testimonials > Add New from the Dashboard.
Optional: Further Configuration
The UUA Theme provides a certain number of configuration options. If you need to customize your website beyond the options provided, you’ll need to edit the code of the theme. Read this guidance on customization and Child Themes.