On the cvuus.org home page and on http://www.cvuus.org/worship/upcoming-worship-services/, the title of the service no longer appears as a link. Service titles do appear as links on http://www.cvuus.org/worship/past-worship-services/.
Any idea what’s up? When I examine the source of the page, there isn’t an < a href > tag around the title.
We are using the [ upcoming-services ] shortcode to display the listing.
I don’t understand – if we have to use the Schedule date to enter the date of the service, then services in the future are never published. How can we publish a future service?
You can’t link to unpublished services. Because they’re scheduled, not published, they can’t be linked to (only site admins would be able to see them).
I had the same problem. The demo site, http://demo.uuatheme.org/, has all the service titles work as links to the service pages, whether on the side panel, on the home page widget, or on the list of upcoming services. When I look at all the other sample UUA Theme sites, the service titles don’t work as links. I have the UUA Services Plugin version .4, which I dowloaded a few months ago with the UUATheme and I’m wondering if Christopher is using a modified version of the UUA Services Plugin on the UUATheme demo site. I tried to contact the UUA Services Plugin publisher, but they have no mention of it on their site and didn’t respond to my email. Anyway, here’s one way to fix it.
- Backup your site! We’re modifying a plugin and if you aren’t confident with this you need to tread carefully.
- Go to Plugins and Deactivate the UUA Services Plugin. This will break the services functionality temporarily but don’t worry, they’ll all work again when we reactivate it. That is, as long as you follow these directions precisely.
- Again in the Plugins section, choose Editor. Up top right where it says, “Select plugin to edit:“, choose UUA Services Plugin and click the Select button.
- Now in the list of Plugin Files, press the down arrow for “inc“
- Ok, you’re going to edit upcoming-services-shortcode.php and featured-upcoming-service-widget.php. First select all the text in each file and cut-and-paste it somewhere else in case you screw up. It can happen. Now, for each of those files, in the editor look for this string (there should only be one instance of the string in each file): <h3><?php the_title(); ?></h3>
- Replace that string with this: <a href=”<?php the_permalink(); ?>”><h3><?php the_title(); ?></h3></a>
- Under the editor box, click the “Update File” button. It shouldn’t take long to confirm “File edited successfully.”. If it does take a long time and you get an error, make sure you deactivated the plugin first!
- Ok, now list your plugins again and Activate the UUA Services Plugin. You should get a “Plugin activated” confirmation at the top of the page. If it does not activate successfully, you made an error someplace. Cut and paste the original text back into the editor, save, and activate to verify all is well. Still a problem? Thank yourself for taking that backup and initiate a restore of your site.
That should do it, my site now works like the http://demo.uuatheme.org/ site as far as the services links. I’m happy.
FYI: The links won’t work for anyone who isn’t logged into your site.
DOH! That’s because service posts with a future date have a post_status of ‘future’ (seen in the GUI as ‘Scheduled’) and WordPress denies public access to future posts (for good reason). I don’t know what kind of black magic you have on the demo.uuatheme.org site, but I had to modify functions.php in the child theme to allow the display of future posts, and then more editing of php files in the inc directory to make it all work now. I assume these particular fixes will be in the updated theme, so I don’t think there’s a need to detail them here.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Indeed. There are a number of notes about this on the theme documentation site, but basically it comes down to this: the theme was built with the expectation that people would write descriptions short enough that there wouldn’t need to be links to full records. This was based on a survey of about fifty congregational sites and the length of descriptions they used. So we used the scheduling function of WordPress, which meant that individual service posts aren’t available (because they haven’t actually been published) until after the service has occurred.
Turned out that this was a mistake. Once people moved their sites over to the theme, it turned out that some wanted to be able to use much longer descriptions for upcoming services, sometimes including the whole order of service. It’s been fixed in the update that we expect to go out the first week of January.